Monday, November 9, 2009

Essay Rewrite

On pages 61-61 Garcia and Sanford use the terms “Source” and “Ontological Status” to distinguish between what is real and what is unreal or imaginary. Garcia and Sanford use Metaphysics to find out what is real and unreal. Metaphysics being the study of what is real and what is knowable, a study beyond time and space.
The term Source is defined in the book (The Matrix and Philosophy) as where everything began from. “We know the sources or causes, for many of the thing in the real world”. Like we know that the Matrix program is being controlled or was made by the machines outside of the program”(p.61). “We know the humans beings born in the city of Zion come from their parents”(p.61). This states that we know the Source for the humans beings, being born, is their parents. Where it all began or started.
Garcia and Sanford also use the term Ontological Status it is also used to distinguish between what is real and unreal. Ontological Status is (p.61) “ the way things exists”, the way something lives or the way something is taking into a person mind to make that something seem real. Another way to define it is Dependence. When something depends on something else. In the book page 61 it states that “ the real world in the movie The Matrix, does not depend on something else for its existence”. Meaning if it doesn’t depend on anything then it is real. As for the program it is dependent on the machines to keep it running and to keep on feeding it different programs and electrical signals for it to run. Pages 61-62 “even if the real world was dependent od something, the Ontological status of the unreal world can seem to be weaker”. Meaning that a world that depends on something else, like another world, then that makes it weaker because it is dependent on a world outside of its own. If the real world in The Matrix was dependent on a world outside of its own then that makes the program the machines built more weaker, making it less real.
I think that with Garcia’s and Sanford’s assessment is like a 50/50 thing it can go both ways. Reasons being because I am real, a real human being because I come from my parents as Garcia and Sanford said babies are born from their parents, making them a source and making me real. But if I am Dependent on my parents to support me, nurture me, and to protect me until I am old enough to do it on my own, does that make me unreal? Garcia and Sanford did say that if something is dependent on something else then it is unreal or less real.
I personally don’t agree with their assessment because like I said before I am dependent or was dependent of my parents, I know I am a human being and I am real because I was born from m parents so their assessment is confusing. Another thing is the earth it is dependent on the sun to keep it warm and to keep it from drifting away out in space, but the earth is real, there is nothing beyond the sun but space dirt and darkness. Confusing right well that is why I don’t agree with their assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment